Doñana CSIC; Avenida Americo Vespucio s/n, E-41013 Sevilla
I received a formation in evolutionary biology, and I specialized during my PhD in chemical and behavioural ecology. I am particularly interested in the evolution of eusociality, resolution of conflicts and communication in social groups.
I recently defended my PhD, and I'm currently writing papers about the gypsy ant : Aphaenogaster senilis.
What are the proximate mechanisms promoting the large production of sterile individuals caring for offspring of other colony members? How does the queen maintain its reproductive monopoly? What factors affect larval development?
The aim of my PhD was to understand how conflicts over caste fate are resolved in the fission-performing ant Aphaenogaster senilis and what was the role of each member. I focused particularly on the chemical signals the queen uses to indicate her presence and fertility.
5. Camille Ruel, Abraham Hefetz, Xim Cerdá and Raphaël Boulay (in press). Recognition of caste and mating status maintains monogyny in the ant Aphaenogaster senilis. Behavioural Ecology and Sociobiology
4. Claudie Doums, Adam L. Cronin, Camille Ruel, Pierre Fédérici, Claudy Haussy, Claire Tirard and Thibaud Monnin (in press). Facultative use of thelytokous parthenogenesis for queen production in the polyandrous ant Cataglyphis cursor. Journal of Evolutionary Biology
3. Camille Ruel, Alain Lenoir, Xim Cerdá and Raphaël Boulay (2013). Surface lipids of queen-laid eggs do not regulate queen production in a fission-performing ant. Naturwissenschaften 100:91-100
2. Camille Ruel, Xim Cerdá and Raphaël Boulay (2012). Behaviour-mediated group size effect constrains reproductive decision in a social insect. Animal Behaviour 84:853-860
1. Alain Lenoir, Quentin Chalon, Ana Carvajal, Camille Ruel, Angel Barroso, Tomáš Lackner and Raphaël Boulay (2012). Chemical Integration of Myrmecophilous Guests in Aphaenogaster Ant Nests. Psyche, vol. 2012, Article ID 840860, 12 pages. doi:10.1155/2012/840860.
CONGRESS & PRESENTATIONS
September 2012: XIV Congreso Nacional y XI Iberoamericano de la Sociedad Española de Etología (in Seville). Oral presentation "Señales múltiples de reina mantienen la monoginia en la hormiga Aphaenogaster senilis"
April 2011: congress of the French section of the International union for the study of social insects (in Banyuls-sur-Mer). Oral presentation "Les oeufs de reines ne régulent pas la différenciation du couvain chez la fourmis Aphaenogaster senilis"
August 2010: XVIth congress of the IUSSI (International Union for the Study of Social Insects) (in Copenhagen). Poster presentation “The influence of season and larval competition on caste fate in a fission-performing ant”
August 2009 : 12th congress of the European society for evolutionary biology (in Turin). Poster presentation: “Resolution of caste fate conflict in a fission performing ant”
March 2009: 5th Ecology and behaviour meeting (in Lyon). Oral presentation “Resolution of caste fate conflict in a fission performing ant”
September 2008: 4th european meeting of the International union for the study of social insects (in La Roche-en-Ardenne). Oral presentation “Paternity sharing in the polyandrous ant Cataglyphis cursor”
June 2008: Presentation in Laurent Keller’s lab in the département d’écologie et évolution of the university of Lausanne. “Sharing of paternity in the polyandrous ant Cataglyphis cursor: potential role of males?”
September 2007: congress of the French section of the International union for the study of social insects (in Toulouse). Poster presentation